Monday, November 30, 2009

Future Consideration: Lightning Greaves

Future consideration is a series of articles that analyzes cards that I am considering adding to my cube. Each post offers an in-depth look at why the card might be cube worthy.

Our first look at cards for future consideration is taking a look at the artifact Lightning Greaves. This is a cheap artifact that can be equipped for free and provides the equiped creature with both shroud and haste.

This card was actually recommended to me by a friend of mine. After looking into it I have to agree that it fills a need in my cube. Currently there are only a handful of of equipment cards in my deck and even fewer creatures with shroud. With Red, Black, and White being very removal heavy, I feel that there needs to more protection from removal without adding many more protection from color cards. The added bonus of this being an artifact is that all decks can benefit from the card.

Apart from it filling a need in my cube, when you evaluate the card on it's own it seems very under-costed for the bonuses it provides. Haste and Shroud are both abilities that are very heavily seated in the Magic color pie. Being able to add these abilities to any deck for a cheap casting cost and free equip cost this card makes itself a great candidate for any cube. I will be picking up a copy of this card next time I order singles for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment