Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cube Synergy: Crucible of Worlds

When I was creating first creating my cube I started by only really thinking about the power level of the individual cards and not thinking much about synergy. While it is important to think about the strength of a given card when you are trying to create either a cube or a deck, some cards do not become truly powerful until until you combined them with other cards.

A good example of this is the card Crucible of Worlds. When I first evaluated the card I was looking at it mostly as a anti-land destruction card and put it into my maybe pile as it did not seem like it would add much to my cube. When I was finalizing the cube I came across the card again and couldn't believe that I almost passed it up.

Crucible of Worlds becomes much more powerful when you combine it with fetch lands. this card combo allows you to thin your deck of lands and fix any mana issues you might have as well. If that weren't enough, if you have a creature with a landfall ability in place you can keep bringing your fetch lands back every turn to continue to trigger landfall. Imagine the number of tokens that you can get in play if you had a Rampaging Baloths in the battlefield.

This card becomes even more disgusting though when it is combined with Strip Mine or Wasteland. This simple 2 card combo gives you renewable land destruction every turn. In the case of Strip Mine you can completely land lock your opponent or in the best case destroy their lands completely if they do not continue to drop them.

While Crucible of Worlds alone might not be powerful enough to justify a first pick from a pack over some of the more powerful stand alone cards in a cube, the Johnie in me will still be tempted to pick it every time for some of the tricks that I might be able to build as I draft my deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment