Friday, December 4, 2009

Taking the Sliver Premium deck to EDH

Originally when I set out with the goal of using the Sliver premium deck I was excited because I thought it would be a pretty unique idea; However, it appears that I was not alone in this idea. The deck lends itself very well to the singleton format because if you take out all the nonbasic land duplicates you have a list of 50 cards which is half of your EDH deck right there. It would leave you with the following cards:

Singleton precon list

When I started working with this decklist my goal was to use these 50 cards for the base. The more I looked worked on the deck the more frustrated I got. Slivers just don't seem to work that well in a singleton format. There is some redundancy in different sliver's abilities such as a few that offer trample and 2 that offer +1/+1. but without the redundancy that you can get from having duplicate effects on the battle field you often have to lose abilities to use the sliver sacrifice abilities. This became frustrating enough for me that I have decided to focus mainly on the cards to play and will forgo creating a final deck list.

If you want full deck list ideas then take a look at 99edhproblems or MTG Deck Source who both also have taken a look at this issue. I feel both of these decks make the right choices in terms of what slivers to play so instead I will focus on the tribal cards you will want to play along with your slivers.

The Cards to Consider

Shared Triumph - The enchantment version of sinew sliver. Anything that is going to boost our slivers power and toughness is going to be worth taking as most of them are small bodies.

Urza's Incubator - This is a nice card to play because many slivers have a single colored mana and many colorless. Since some of slivers seem to cost too much for what they do I feel this card is a good fix for that problem.

AEther Vial
- A nice way to work around color screw and ramping out some additional slivers.

Cryptic Gateway - This card will allow you drop in multiple fatties a turn or flash in a sliver during an opponent's turn.

Patriarch's Bidding - This card can be a nice win condition if you use something like Necrotic Sliver to clear the board and set yourself up for the next attack with all of your fallen slivers.

Unnatural Selection
- another card that is harder to remove than your Amoeboid Changeling that will allow you to take multiple creatures from your opponent per turn with your general. It also works well with Peer Pressure but I am not sure that would be worth taking on its own.

Mana Echos - This card is awesome if you are playing sliver queen. It allows you to create as many tokens as you want or to drop a giant fireball on an opponents head.

Door of Destinies - A solid pick for any tribal deck. This works even better in EDH since the games tend to allow for a slower curve.

Harsh Mercy - A cheaper almost wrath. Much like Patriarch's Bidding this card will most likely work out better for you than your opponent unless they are playing a heavily tribal deck as well.

More Changelings

Since the precon is ok with going with changelings I feel like its ok to add some more to the mix.

Changeling Titan - Other than your large legendary creatures you don't have too many options on large bodies to play as slivers. I like changeling titan because if you have mana issues he is not too hard to drop into play either.

Chameleon Colossus - a pump-able body that gets all of the bonuses of your slivers? yes please. Some might say it is a big commitment to green, but when I was working on the deck originally I found my list was shaping up to be a 5 color green sliver deck. Your millage my vary.

Mutavault - If you thought mutavault was rude in fairies think again. In this deck, mutavault becomes the most disgusting land ever printed. Good times.

Mirror Entity - I like this card here because i feel like our slivers are almost too small to make the difference in the late game sometimes. Being able to pump them up seems like a good fix for that problem to me.

Conclusion

While this obviously doesn't take you to a full deck it certainly gives you a good idea on what cards you want to go with. When I started looking at putting a deck together for this I actually found that selecting the slivers was the easy part. I have to pour over set lists to really be able to find the cards that I liked to fill out the tribal support the way that I wanted to. Hopefully you all found this helpful.

Sorry for the lack of a full decklist. Between my poor mana fixing cards and the issues I came up when designing a sliver EDH deck I came to the conclusion that it was not the deck I wanted to play after all. Hopefully for those of you that do want to play EDH slivers the tribal cards and changeling selection will be of some use to you. If you are interested in some of my picks, my work in progress decklist can be found here. Some of the picks are a little wonky and wouldn't have made the final cut and I never got around to completing the mana base. Sadly I doubt the deck will ever be completed as I have lost interest for the reasons I have stated above.

What cards would you play in a EDH sliver deck that are pissing?

No comments:

Post a Comment